Warren Central High School and Warren Township were named for Joseph Warren, a Revolutionary War doctor and patriot who died in the battle of Bunker Hill. The original Warren Central opened in January 1925 at the corner of 10th Street & Post Road on the far eastside of Indianapolis. It was a consolidation of the Cumberland and Shadeland schools which both had high schools that were too small for the growing township population. Warren was built to house grades 7 to 12 and to give the students a city quality education in a farm community.
By the late 1950s, the population of Warren Township had once again outgrown its high school and, on September 6, 1960, a new Warren Central opened at the corner of 16th & Post. The new school housed grades 10-12, with grades 7-9 remaining at the old building which was renamed Woodview Junior High School. Warren Central remains on this property today. In 1977 the Walker Career Center opened on the property of the high school giving students not going on to college an opportunity to train for a career.
The Indianapolis Public Library and its digitization partner, IUPUI University Library, are happy to present this digital collection of Warren Central High School materials from the Indianapolis Special Collections Room of the Indianapolis Public Library and Warren Central High School MediaPlex, published here with the generous support of The Library Fund, a fund of The Indianapolis Foundation.