Slovenians came to Indianapolis from the early 1890s through the mid 1920s. Recruited to work at Link Belt Foundry, Ketcham & Haugh Foundry, and the Kingan meat processing firm, the men and women would re-pay their employers for their passage to America by working for them.
These new residents established a community around the foundries called Haughville, building homes and starting businesses to support their neighborhood and their neighbors, including grocery stores, plumbing, heating, and taverns. They also petitioned and received permission to establish the Slovenian Holy Trinity Church, importing a priest from the old country.
The Slovenian National Home was established in 1904 as a center for community activity. With concerts, opera and plays (in Slovenian) and polka dances, the “Nash” provided entertainment and a place to congregate, as well as education to assist neighbors in receiving their United States citizenship.
The Slovenian National Home continues to serve as a social club for the Slovenian people and their descendants. We are happy to share these images of our history and people and, as an organization, are actively researching these early families and how they have contributed to the city. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
This collection is made possible by Friends of the Library through gifts to The Indianapolis Public Library Foundation.