In the fall of 1953, Wood High School opened in the refurbished school buildings vacated when Emmerich Manual High School moved to its new site on the south side of Indianapolis. Wood was designed as a new vocational training high school with its primary focus on academics and the specific goal of providing secondary-level vocational education to its students. The school closed in 1978.
Wood was named for Harry E. Wood, a graduate of Manual High School, who became a renowned artist and craftsman as well as an educator and administrator at Manual. Wood also lectured at many universities and was president of several art associations.
The Indianapolis Public Library and its digitization partner, IUPUI University Library, are happy to present this digital collection of Wood High School materials from the Indianapolis Special Collections Room of the Indianapolis Public Library, the Marion County Genealogical Society and the Harry E. Wood High School Alumni Association published here with the generous funding of The Library Fund, a fund of The Indianapolis Foundation.