Skip to main content

Digital Indy Logo 

About this collection

Bates Hendricks House

 

Enter Collection

 

Bates-Hendricks is a neighborhood on the near south side of Indianapolis with an active association that works to improve the area and bring neighbors together. Ideally situated near Downtown, Fountain Square, and Garfield Park, the neighborhood is close to numerous restaurants, businesses, and recreational facilities. Cyclists can easily commute to Downtown via East Street's bike lanes, a branch of Indianapolis' growing bike lane infrastructure.

 

In 1821, the first sanctioned land sale took place in Indianapolis and a few outer lots were sold, including one that would eventually become the Bates-Hendricks House estate. The historic Bates-Hendricks House, named after former owners Hervey Bates, a prominent banker, and Thomas A. Hendricks, an Indiana Governor and United States Vice President, is on the National Register of Historic Landmarks and is the namesake of the neighborhood.

 

The area's early development was stifled by the heavy train traffic running through Union Station, isolating the land to the south from downtown Indianapolis. Starting in the 1890's, however, a large German immigrant population began to build houses on the newly-platted developments in the neighborhood, which were soon followed by churches, grocery stores, and small businesses along East Street, including the first Hook's Drug Store. Housing development continued throughout the 1920's, as evident by a large number of Arts and Crafts homes in the neighborhood.

 

By 1940, the near south side had been built to capacity, but Indianapolis continued to grow outward, eventually leading to the construction of the interstate highways that presented new borders and challenges to the neighborhood. In the 21st Century, the Bates-Hendricks Neighborhood has experienced renewed interest and revitalization as residents and community organizations strive to preserve the historic quality and character of the area and its homes.

 

The Bates-Hendricks collection was made possible by Friends of the Library through gifts to the Indianapolis Public Library Foundation.

 

 

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK