Beech Grove High School began in 1917 in a one story red brick building at the corner of Tenth and Main streets. One year later a second floor was added as well as a detached elementary school building. In 1924 the two buildings were then connected by a gymnasium, and in 1929 a middle school addition was made. The Tenth and Main Street building was razed in 1957 to make room for expanding Central Elementary School. In 1955 the high school moved to a new building at 1248 Buffalo Street, where it shared facilities with the junior high school until the present school at 5330 Hornet Avenue was completed in 1966. Beech Grove High School has grown from a six-member graduation class in 1921 with seven faculty members to 150 graduates in 1999 with 50 faculty members and administrators. The high school has graduated over 10,000 students since opening in 1917.
The first high school band was organized in 1951, boys basketball and track in 1920, eleven man football in 1944, wrestling and cross country in 1957, baseball in 1959, golf and tennis in 1965, swimming in 1977, soccer in 1994 and bowling in 1999. Originally student athletes were referred to as the "Yellowjackets" with the name changing to the current "Hornets" in 1931. The girls Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) sponsored sports program began with volleyball in 1971, track in 1973, basketball in 1975, tennis and swimming in 1977, softball in 1987 and golf and soccer in 1977. Before the IHSAA recognized and organaized the girls athletic program many still participated in sporting competitions sponsored by the Girls Athletic Association (GAA).
The yearbooks in this collection were scanned by the Beech Grove Library and span the 1940s to the early 2000s. We invite you to take a trip down memory lane!